If you are arriving in Zambia with a used car or motorbike, you will need to provide a movement authorization; if you do not have one, you will need to get a driver's license from the relevant authorities.

Road Transport and Safety Agency (RTSA)

It is compulsory to have a driving license to get around in Zambia; you can subscribe to the Road Transport and Safety Agency (RTSA), which is the only approved body to do so. It is also responsible for:

  • Regulate Traffic
  • Regulate public transport
  • Register motor and commercial vehicle operators
  • License and register driving schools and instructors.


You must also be at least 18 years of age and enrolled in a recognized auto school. In just a few days (7 minimum) you will be able to train and pass the practical and oral exam plan by the RTSA. In order to verify your age, you must provide valid identification such as identity card, passport, etc.

Temporary Driver's License

The Temporary Driving Permit is issued once you have a 75% grade and you pay a sum of ZMK69.00. It is noted that you must renew it every three months at the risk of confronting with the penalties provided for by law. Once you get your national and / or international driver's license. All occupants of a motorhome, truck or 4x4 must wear a seat belt, front and rear.

Night driving outside built-up areas is strongly discouraged. Between December and April, some roads may be impracticable because of the abundance of precipitation in regions crossed by one or more streams. Some roads and tracks are poorly maintained, the 4x4 is recommended and in all cases caution is required! As the mobile communication network is not effective everywhere it is recommended to travel with a reserve of water, food, gas, a first aid kit and a spare wheel.


Don't forget to download our NEW CarYandi Mobile APP by clicking on the following link : https://goo.gl/sBxXHS

See you soon on www.caryandi.com!